Re: [ga] DNSO Voluntary Donation Fund

Danny and all assembly members,

  Yes, I am that member.  And the answer you provided (See below, was
on my mind at the time and anticipated in advance).

  None the less this seems to be a non answer to my question, as I
in other terms pointed out to you privately.  The ICANN BoD and staff
still control or manage this ACCOUNT.  As such, it is NOT a DNSO GA
ACCOUNT but and ICANN ACCOUNT as their address is listed
as the legal address of this ACCOUNT.  Therefore any funds transferred
into this ICANN ACCOUNT are under the determination of the
ICANN BoD and staff, not the DNSO GA.  Hence no potential
donor can be sure that his/her donation will be used in the manner
prescribed, al la the Markel Foundation donation to ICANN a
year os so back.  Given that, my question still stands inadequately
answered.

  A suggestion:

   The DNSO GA should establish its own ACCOUNT for these purposes
and a trustee should be elected that has the necessary qualifications
to manage this ACCOUNT as to it's uses.

DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

> One of our members has raised the question:  "how does any potential donor
> know that the money he/she is considering donating is going to the DNSO or
> efforts strictly pertaining to the DNSO?"
>
> Please take note of the following Board resolution:
>
> It is therefore
>
>    RESOLVED [01.36] that the President is authorized, until further
>    action by the Board, to maintain a separate bank account for holding
>    funds contributed to the support of the Domain Name Supporting
>    Organization, to place in that account funds contributed for that
>    purpose, and to make disbursements from that account upon
>    authorization of the Names Council or its designee.

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827