Re: [ga] Consensus

Even the dictionary (i.e., my WordWeb) has differing views:

 1) Agreement of the majority in sentiment or belief;
 2) General agreement

Maybe it's like pornography: one can't define it, but one knows it
when one sees it.

Bill Lovell

L Gallegos wrote:

> Please point out the document defining consensus for the GA.  If a
> vote is not determined by a majority, what is the criteria?
>
> On 24 Jun 2001, at 16:36, William X. Walsh wrote:
>
> > Hello Sotiris,
> >
> > Sunday, June 24, 2001, 3:10:30 PM, Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:
> >
> > > Consensus is anything we agree is important enough to engage in
> > > discussing among ourselves.
> >
> > No, that is not what consensus is.  Consensus is something that is
> > agreed on quite widely in the GA (not just by a simple majority).
> >
> > > After all, if we accept the principles of
> > > free speech, it is possible to have dissenting and differing opinions,
> >
> > Yes, but that does not define consensus.
> >
> > > and yet still engage in fruitful dialogue.  Discussion can lead to a
> > > better or more thorough understanding of all issues involved in a given
> > > matter, hence a better prepared voting assembly.  Topics are reached by
> > > consensus and ongoing education.   Decisions are made by votes.
> >
> > No, decisions are reached by consensus.  Consensus can be determined
> > by the discussion and debate on the list, and a vote is merely to
> > confirm it and document it.
> >
> > --
> > Best regards,
> > William X Walsh <william@userfriendly.com>
> > Userfriendly.com Domains
> > The most advanced domain lookup tool on the net
> > DNS Services from $1.65/mo
> >
> > --
> > This message was passed to you via the ga-full@dnso.org list.

Any terms or acronyms above that are not familiar
to the reader may possibly be explained at:
"WHAT IS": http://whatis.techtarget.com/
GLOSSARY: http://www.icann.org/general/glossary.htm