Re: [ga] Consensus

Hello Sotiris,

Sunday, June 24, 2001, 3:10:30 PM, Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:

> Consensus is anything we agree is important enough to engage in
> discussing among ourselves.

No, that is not what consensus is.  Consensus is something that is
agreed on quite widely in the GA (not just by a simple majority).

> After all, if we accept the principles of
> free speech, it is possible to have dissenting and differing opinions,

Yes, but that does not define consensus.

> and yet still engage in fruitful dialogue.  Discussion can lead to a
> better or more thorough understanding of all issues involved in a given
> matter, hence a better prepared voting assembly.  Topics are reached by
> consensus and ongoing education.   Decisions are made by votes.

No, decisions are reached by consensus.  Consensus can be determined
by the discussion and debate on the list, and a vote is merely to
confirm it and document it.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@userfriendly.com>