[ga] Re: [ga-roots] Dot-Antitrust anyone? fresh evidence

  • To: ga@dnso.org
  • Subject: [ga] Re: [ga-roots] Dot-Antitrust anyone? fresh evidence
  • From: Jefsey Morfin <jefsey@wanadoo.fr>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 13:34:26 +0200
  • Sender: owner-ga@dnso.org

Dear Jeff,
I am afraid you are missing the point. When you enter a DN in your browser
that name is scanned and possibly replaced with a canned address (Real
Name). This process will now be used by IE to support VeriSign
multinational names (yestderay annoucement). A multinational name is a
normal DNS string with a certain semantic. This will certainly be made
plain by a lot of justice decisions: all the people which rehistered bq_ as
a string are blocked if I undestand well.

So what is a semantic? is there a big difference between bq_..... and
.shop? VeriSign and MicroSoft will explain that IE is just offering a
service to the user: to protect him from collisions by simili TLDs.

Vint started a real war purposedly. Stuart's yesterday position can be a
basis for talks however it is more probably a political move. Anyway, they
have now all the elements and possiblities to stop it through a consensus
on the definition of what at minimum a TLD is.

Or we have  entered in a huge instability period and possibly an Internet
split. We should have started a discussion on iCANN name space management
instead of being trapped into arguing on 'roots' on a sub-list. We de facto
freed their hands and now the problem is with all of us.

The solution is in heir hands: up to them to decide.
Jefsey