Re: [ga] Analysis of Atlantic Root .BIZ Registrations to Date

Leah,

I read your response (as posted at
<http://bcis.law.harvard.edu/webboard/wbpx.dll/read?262,45> and referenced
in a prior message to the GA list) and am pleased to discuss these matters
in hopes of better understanding and better documenting the situation here.

For the moment, I'd like to put aside questions of data privacy, of
motivation, and of consultation to focus on the questions that were the
motivation for my research.  In particular, I remain most interested in
understanding how many registrations ARNI in fact had on various dates, and
from how many distinct registrants.

I understand you to have noted in your third and fourth paragraphs that,
prior to October 2000, registrations were accepted in such a way that the
current Whois system shows false creation dates.  (Namely, you said that it
shows dates on or after October 23, 2000 for domains in fact registered
before that time.)

Is this anomaly limited to the 286 registrations completed on October 23
through 26, as shown on
<http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/edelman/dotbiz/sld-regs-byday.asp>?
That is, by the end of October 26, was the system fully caught up, such that
incoming registrations were properly and immediately included in Whois,
complete with accurate registration dates?  (I notice that many registration
were made on each of those four days, but that those days were followed by a
string of few- and zero-registration days.)  If so, I believe my by-day
statistics are accurate beginning on October 27.

In addition to understanding how many registration were in place on each
date, I think I and others would like to understand how many distinct
registrants had registered domains in the ARNI .BIZ TLD as of various dates.
In your third paragraph, you report that your publicly-accessible Whois data
was and remains inaccurate -- that it misattributes domains to the ARNI .BIZ
Registry that are in fact held for others at their specific request.  I
don't immediately have any basis for objectively verifying that claim within
the context of publicly-accessible information in your DNS and Whois
servers, so I set out to review the web sites available at the 189 current
ARNI .BIZ TLDs registered to ARNI itself.  Unfortunately, however, only five
of these TLDs had operating web servers that I was able to reach via
standard HTTP at the addresses I tried (http://www.sld.biz and
http://sld.biz for each of the 189 SLDs).  Can you say more about how many
of these 189 (or of the 178 ARNI-registered SLDs registered on or before
November 15, 2000) were registered for ARNI's own use, as against at the
specific request of ARNI customers?  As I look through the list at
<http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/edelman/dotbiz/pagetitles-ARNI-register
ed-SLDs.asp>, I do see a lot of generic domains on that list -- cars.biz,
banking.biz, etc.  Folks on this list and elsewhere might be interested to
know what proportion of these domains were registered for use by ARNI versus
for an ARNI customer.

Also, did customers request this privacy (i.e. the absence of their name in
your Whois server) (as a few people have suggested to me in private emails)?
Or the registration listings were only transferred to ARNI (for listing in
Whois, at least) for administrative convenience (as you say in the third
paragraph of your message of yesterday)?

Can you say more about how customers learned about and requested your .BIZ
services as early as May of 2000 (as you say they did in paragraph three of
your message)?  Whois seems to reflect that you registered biztld.net on
August 19, 2000, and I understand that to be the primary venue within the
ICANN/USG root in which you advertise ARNI's .BIZ services.

Finally, you say (in paragraph eight of your message) that this anomaly of
Whois data presentation will be corrected with the second version of POSSR.
Do you have any information about when that will be available?  To the
extent that the current ARNI .BIZ Whois data is known to be inaccurate, I'm
sure you -- and especially your customers -- are anxious to get this fixed!

Two quick nonsubstantive thoughts:

1.) You say that you believe my results to be subjective "because of
assumptions made of start dates and methods of registration."  In fact, I
believe (and hope!) that my methods and my assumptions are both
clearly-stated on <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/edelman/dotbiz/>.
For example, in each instance when I draw data from the ARNI .BIZ Whois
server, I say so; thus, it seems to me that most readers would rightly
conclude that if the ARNI .BIZ Whois server provides me with data that is in
error or is misleading in some way, these errors would flow through to my
research findings.  If I have omitted any key assumptions from my
explanation of methodology on that page, I'd be pleased to make appropriate
revisions; I'll happily accept such comments via private email or on this
list, as folks prefer.

2.) You say that you are disappointed to see this study coming "from
Berkman."  I want to be clear that the study is my own.  It has not been
approved or endorsed by the Berkman Center; I post it on the Berkman
Center's web server thanks to my ongoing affiliation with the Berkman
Center, but that does not mean that the Center endorses my findings in any
institutional sense.  For more information about the Berkman Center's
relationship with ICANN, see the Berkman Center-ICANN FAQ as posted at
<http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/icann/bcisfaq>.

Regards,

Ben Edelman

"L Gallegos" <jandl@jandl.com> wrote on ga@dnso.org