[ga] Re: [ga-roots] Re: ICANN Policy -- revised version

Dear Stuart,
Could we get real? To do that I will simple daily comon words.

-

One, you describe the things from the USG documents perspective instead of
from a logical analysis. However very will drafted (and not that much
respected by the iCANN), the USG documents are only dealing with the USG
DNS application. As if you were explaining me how Words works and telling
me that all the files are to be signed "Stuart Lynn".

-

Two, you are confused about the words "single authoritative". You want to
be the single authoritative user on your  Words program: everyone does.
This means that I cannot use your Words and you cannot use mine. This does
not mean that you got the property of Words sources from Bill Gates. This
is the usual misunderstanding of customers who believe they purchased the
source when they got a usage right. I am the single authoritative boss on
my machine: "single authoritative root" is a concept as obvious as a ship
has a single authoritative captain. Only kids believe they command the
world's fleet.

At TLD Level, from historical right (first come, first serve) the legacy
TLDs (.com, .org, ..) are acknowledged by everyone as the TLDs run by the
USG. No one is contesting that. As I do not sign my letters "Stuart Lynn".
This means that when running the public DNS software no one will collide
with these TLDs. From the same historical right (first come, first serve)
many others have their own TLDs they use with the same public DNS software.
Being realistic and polite they try to avoid collisions and when collisions
happen by ignorance they try to resolve the conflict by mutual agreement.
Among polite and decent grown people it works well. Now teenager iCANN
wants to show it exists in creating collisions on purpose. This is childish
and impolite. It is impolite for obvious reasons as if you started signing
"Jefsey Morfin", it is childish as it gives all the others teenagers the
idea that colliding the iCANN TLD is the next game in town. And we start
seeing many around: New.net is only a nice well behaved one.

-

Three: at root level you get confused the most simple words. Nothing mythic
or mystic about a root. It is only a TLD name-server map or directory.
Anyone may publish a root showing where TLDs are managed. Usually when
someone asks me a direction in the street, I try to respond at my best. My
mother taught me that: this is courtesy she said. Most of the roots do the
same as much as they can: who does not want to help his neigbhors? Now
teenager iCANN wants also to be discourteous and not to tell people where
are the zone servers if they do not pay him a TAF (TLD application fee in
iCANNese - a marijuana joint in French). He even wants to play "petit chef"
(e-napoleon) claiming he owns and runs the show. Even girls are not
impressed: they know it is only because he is not grown enough and does not
know anything outside his block.

-

Again, Stuart, get real, please. Milton has a fair pro-iCANN balanced
approach which may be used as a basis for talks, mutual education, doctrine
study, policy research, compromise or even consensus uncovering. We are not
religious: we run businesses and social services. Many other things to do
than this.

iCANN is a cosy secretariat for registering TLDs, allocating IP addresses
and Port numbers. It is a convenient place to locate additional services
like Registrar qualification, international gatherings organization, common
ML management, international ccTLD relations and probably many other net
keeping oriented nice functions helping everyone, keeping his Staff and BoD
happy. iCANN is so few DNS oriented that it has not hired its technical
manager yet and does not plan to do it in a near future if I look at its site.

Why to spoil all that? Just because of Mike Roberts' fancy to charge $
50.000 a $ 20 task? Everyone was happy with the iCANN before that. Let
forget it.

-

Oh! yes: I forgot. Jon Postel needed a secretary to register his DNs and
hired NanSi. He was also bored by collecting money so he asked NanSI to do
it too. Then he hired others: a TLD is just a secretary mark (as on the
letters) to know who from the pool entered it.

Now you want to hire some other secretaries and you miss Words licences.
Also NanSi wants Jon's legacy... very usual for a favorite and she call on
"authorities". I am surprised your are impressed: I hope your wife handles
better her disputes with her grocer, or your got yourself a problem.

Yours are secretary pool management problems. The foreign secretaries want
to form a second pool, Tuckows secretary starts being jealous, external
secretaries are typing the letters yours expected to type, China secretary
went on strike, your last policy statement made you the talk of the town
instead of addressing the discontent, helpers deteriorate the situation.
This is a very usual management case: no need to call on the Army, the USG
and the rest of the World.

Get them together. Clean the situation. Tell them "there are no problems
only challenges", tell them they are "the winning TLDs for the new
millenium", blabla making them happy... etc.. and protect yourself against
that  problem in externalizing your secretary pool.

-

There is a tale about the Frog which took itself for a Bull. It applies to
NSI, let not apply it to the iCANN.
My suggestion at least.

Jefsey