From: owner-ga@dnso.org [mailto:owner-ga@dnso.org] On Behalf Of Patrick
Corliss
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2001 11:40 AM
To: Joanna Lane
Cc: [ga]
Subject: [ga] ASO + PSO = TSO Technical Supporting Organisation

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 01:57:25 +1000, Patrick Corliss wrote:

Hi Joanna

On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 01:18:32 -0400, Joanna Lane wrote:
> The argument to that is that there is a fundamental conflict of
interest
> for the ccTLDSO to represent both themselves and their client. If the
> ccTLDs represent 244 countries and each has 1 vote on an issue, how
> many votes do registrants have? The balance of power has to be created
> by a separate SO for registrants, so that the ccTLDSO vote and the
> RegistrantSO is commensurate, one vote each. I would like to hear from
> the ccTLDs on this issue.

I much prefer a three-way split between supply, demand and technical
infrastructure (such as ISPs and telcos).  That's natural and works
pretty
well in Australia.

On the "supply" side you have Registries, joint Registry-Registrars,
Registrars and Registration Service Providers (such as OpenSRS
reselleres).
On the "demand" side you have business, non-commercial and individuals.

In my case I am a domain name owner with domains in both gTLDs and
ccTLDs.  I cannot see that I need to have two voices to reflect my two
different views.  However, at the moment, the balance of power is
strongly
tilted towards supply.  This needs to be redressed.

The problem is seen both in the current SOs where the DNSO plays a
subordinate role and in the 7 categories of constituencies included in
the
constituency setup.  In fact the whole structure makes very little sense
from a purely logical viewpoint.

Why could we not combine the Address Supporting Organisation and the
Protocol Supporting Organisation into a single Technical Supporting
Organisation ("TSO")?  There is no reason for ISPs and connectivity
providers to be even a constituency in the DNSO as they are more
properly
positioned in the TSO.

Best regards
Patrick Corliss