Re: [ga] Re: Membership Drive

Derek Conant wrote:

>Mr. Younger, you crack me up.
>
>How do you propose that the GA manage enlisted participants that will
>probably
>know absolutely nothing about the ICANN and DNSO process?   Were you
>enlisted to
>the GA via spam or by a similar means?  Furthermore, where is the valid
>consensus regarding your action to move this forward?  At least with GA
>Directors you wouldn't be alone here.
>
>To enlist members through a Membership Drive for the purpose of counting
>votes
>is in my opinion is a ridiculous prospect in this case.  Especially
>considering
>that the GA has not figure out how to make what it has work.  Leave the
>task to
>the At-Large to figure out.  We don't need special interest group
>penetration or
>undue influence taking over ICANN via the DNSO GA.

I did not see in Danny's words any push for a specific "special interest
group", just the attempt to reach out to a larger basis for consensus.
Maybe new people that may join will know less about the ICANN and/or DNSO
process, but that does not exclude that they may have an equal interest at
stake.
Considering, then, that the role of the GA is just to nominate candidates,
while the Director will be elected by the NC, it will be particularly
worthless for any "special interest group" to adhere by the thousands to the
GA: 10 individuals would suffice, while the effort should be concentrated in
lobbying the NC, if one would have a specific candidate elected.
Last but not least, a lot of the valuable contributors of today's GA have
been "newcomers" at one point in time. This is the essence of the GA, IMHO:
a discussion forum where new voices and opinions are welcome, not a
decision-making body where you have to be an "insider", and you have the
risk of capture.
(This explains also my different opinion about the "GA restructuring", but
this I may address in a different post)

>By the way, in case you want to write a Membership Drive letter for votes,
>the
>Chinese Embassy address is as follows:
>
>Chinese Ambassador
>United States Embassy of the People's Republic of China
>2300 Connecticut Avenue, NW
>Washington, DC  20008

Interesting.
If in need to contact the Chines Internet community, I would not have
thought of the Ambassador to the US as first choice.

But I would not have thought either of the CIA as advisor if to participate
to an ICANN meeting or not (but that I will answer also separately).

Regards
Roberto