[ga] FW: [DNS] 2:104 CO (COLOMBIA)

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Corliss [mailto:patrick@quad.net.au]
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2001 10:44 PM
To: Chris Disspain, auda
Cc: William X. Walsh; Jim Fleming, PRODIGY; [DNS] auda
Subject: Re: [DNS] 2:104 CO (COLOMBIA)

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 21:26:35 -0500, Jim Fleming wrote:
Subject: [DNS] 2:104 CO (COLOMBIA)

> http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt
> 2:104     CO   (COLOMBIA)
<snip>

To:    Chris Disspain, auDA CEO
cc:     Members, Australian DNS

I note that the above post is not relevant to the Australian DNS.  Whilst
members of this forum are prepared to allow some latitude in relation to
international topics of genuine relevance, I would suggest that we do not
extend this tolerance too far.

In particular, members should be aware that Mr Fleming is a tireless
advocate for his IPv8 and IPv16 proposals on domain name mailing lists
all around the world.  I have corresponded with him for over a year.

For some reason, possibly related to my own membership of these
international forums, Mr Fleming has taken an interest in imposing his
views on the Australian DNS.

I would therefore draw your attention to a recent post by William X. Walsh,
another international observer as follows:

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:08:29 -0700, William X. Wash wrote:
Subject: Re: [ga] IPv8 FAQ on Proof of Concept TLDs
> Monday, June 11, 2001, 2:54:54 PM, JIM FLEMING wrote:
>
> > IPv8 FAQ on Proof-of-Concept TLDs
> > http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf/Current/msg12215.html
>
> > 1. Q. Is the ICANN Board Qualified to "mess with DNS" ?
>
> For those who are not familiar with his tactics, Jim Fleming posts
> things to mailing lists or comments boards that archive them like the
> IETF and NTIA, and then uses references to his own messages and
> comments at those URLs to make it look somehow more "official" and
> "legitimate."

On this occasion I entirely agree with Mr Walsh's comments.  I would also
ask auDA to consider the practicalities involved in imposing some form of
list monitoring to ensure that posts on this forum are appropriate and
relevant to the Australian DNS.  I realise this would be a burden.

Although I am a member of the auDA Board, this is a personal request in my
capacity as an individual.  I therefore address it the the CEO of auDA, Mr
Chris Disspain with copies to Mr Jim Fleming and Mr William X. Walsh.

Having made his point, Mr Fleming might advocate his proposals elsewhere.

Yours sincerely
Patrick Corliss
[individual capacity]