Re[2]: [ga] Blending Top-down and Bottoms-up

Hello Patrick,

Sunday, June 10, 2001, 9:29:11 PM, Patrick Corliss wrote:
> Personally, I think the formation of sub-groups is the only effective way
> that the GA can operate.  As you all know, I have tried without much success
> to promote their use. My view, as I've said publicly and privately, is that
> there are too many sublists.  Many people have found the situation a little
> confusing and I have tried to help where I can.

I disagree with you here.  The only list that has gotten anything
resembling decent use is the roots list, and it has only attracted
those who are polar opposites who will never come to any kind of
compromise (it is my position that the entire subject is out of scope,
as a matter of fact).

Your view is, in my opinion, incorrect.
> The current problem arose for three reasons.  One was that Danny created a
> sublist [ga-review] without the support of the wg-review participants.

Much like both of you did without much support from the GA
participants for the concept of these sublists to start off with.

> The last reason was that somebody, perhaps the DNSO Secretariat, created
> another mailing list for issues relating to .org.  We really do have to
> consider the scope and viability of these lists.  I would therefore repeat
> my earlier comments:

The ga-org list is probably the only one of these lists that has any
relevance or purpose at all that should be attended to.

And in my opinion, the entire issue should be on the mail GA list.

The current leadership has tried to manage by dividing things up.
That has clearly not work.

Can you come up with a different approach or not?

You seem stuck on this course of action even if it means complete
alienation of the members who have already grown increasingly
frustrated with you (and I'm excluding myself from that group for
these purposes).  When this was pointed out privately, you indicated
you had no intent to deviate at all from your position regardless of
the opposition to it.

If you can't learn to let it go when it is clearly not something that
is working for the GA, or being adopted and used by the GA, then you
need to consider if you can be effective and of value to the GA.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh