[ga] Re: Travel to Stockholm

Dear Patrick:

Please do not enlarge the problem by ascribing motives to me that
have nothing to do with what is a straightforward administrative
issue. This has nothing to do with anyone's views of the GA,
"concerted efforts to undermine the GA", potential Individual
Constituencies, your qualifications, or whatever. It has nothing to
do with whether or not I welcome "grass roots participation" -- in
fact, I personally welcome all participation.

Frankly, you know nothing of my views on any of these issues. You
have never spoken with me about any of them. To be quite candid, I
have not been long enough in this position to have any well-formed
views on these matters. My views will ultimately be formed by
listening to reasoned and constructive discussions, and by reading
what people have to say -- and I will try hard not to be influenced
by those who ascribe all sorts of nasty motivations to people they do
not even know. I understand there are lots of people out there who
have nothing better to do than engage in those kinds of behaviors,
but you I know are not one of them.

This, as I said, is a straightforward administrative matter. As I
understand it, ICANN's budgets are not used for covering SO expenses.
This does not single out the DNSO or the GA, but applies across the
all SO's. Perhaps your opinion is that this should change, and the
budget should be adapted to accommodate certain kinds of SO expenses.
In which case, that is a matter to be pursued through process,
ultimately requiring Board approval. We cannot make exceptions on an
ad hoc basis and be fair to all constituencies.

My comment about expectations is equally simple. You apparently
"assumed" that ICANN would cover your expenses, but never checked in
advance. Apparently that approach fits within your framework of
making decisions. I can tell you that it does not fit within my
framework or those of most people that I know. If the acceptance of a
volunteer position depended upon travel for which I have no sources
of support, I would most certainly check in advance as to what is the
relevant policy before agreeing to accept.

My comment about no time before Stockholm was intended to mean that
the chance of a grant application being made and accepted in time is
extremely unlikely. If you know of any possible source for which this
is not the case, I would of course be delighted to write a letter of
support.

So I suggest we focus on the matter at hand and not attribute all
kinds of extraneous motivations. I repeat what I said earlier -- I do
hope you, the GA, and the DNSO can find some way for you to come to
Stockholm. Maybe then we meet and get to understand each other's
views better. I am sure you have a lot to offer as co-chair of the
GA, -- and that is why you have been elected -- and I would look
forward to working with you.

Stuart

--