Re: [ga] DNSO/GA Blocking and other concerns

If I understand the rules correctly, a motion is made after discussion of
the agenda topic.  With the GA, topics come up all the time.  However,
a motion on the topic should still be brought only after discussion and
the chair should be monitoring or moderating the discussion to some
extent.  A motion is the step prior to a vote and should not be brought
until there  has been enough discussion and background to warrant it.

Lately, there has a been a free-for-all and there has been little, if
anything accomplished.  We need to have some structure.

Frankly, I think we need to get the WG's going so we can move on to
constructive work.

On 21 Apr 2001, at 17:11, Jefsey Morfin wrote:

> Dear Harald,
> We concur on this. The normal way of handling a motion is to have it
> seconded, then acknowledged by the Chair what gives the motion a discussion
> framework. Usually a motion is either accepted by all and there is no need
> for a vote, or there are amendments blocking the vote. The result is that
> the vote never occurs before a long time, as in most a cases a consensus is
> researched conducted by the Chair or a few stakeholders. Not acknowledging
> a motion do not gives it the proper recognition nor the resulting framework.
>
> The result is the mess we went into this week, with the discussion on
> motions to remove topics from the GA ML replaced by the actual discussion
> on parts of these topics. And all of them colliding together. The GA ML
> should actually be quite silent and only concern the
> announcement/discussion of new specialized MLs, the reports of he MLs and
> the votes on the ML propositions.
>
> What you describe in term of practical support is incredibly heavy. Is that
> you did not find a proper tool to handle votes (in that case we
> should  develop them or use Joop's booth) or is this an inappropriate
> policy by the DNSO of by the iCANN? IMHO opinion a vote should be a simple
> matter that could be handled "twice daily" as say the song.
>
> This being an important point for net-democracy, I am interested in working
> on the matter with who wants (we already had an analysis with WXW last
> year. Facts of the life lowered the priority, but the need and some
> resources are still here).
> All the best
> Jefsey
>

> On 03:43 21/04/01, Harald Tveit Alvestrand said:
> >My personal comment on the matter of motions:
> >
> >A vote by the GA takes a week of wall clock time, and several hours of
> >secretariat time as presently configured. If there is debate about the
> >validity of votes, the time spent could easily go quite high.
> >It is not a mechanism we should trivially set in motion, or we will very
> >quickly see "voting weariness" setting in.
> >
> >In the rules we agreed upon, we gave the chair the sole responsibility to
> >formulate and send out votes; we did not see a better solution at the time.
> >
> >There might be other possible solutions - for instance, one could say that
> >a petition for a motion, fully formulated and signed by at least 10
> >members, MUST be put before the assembly by the chair. Or this threshold
> >might be too low.
> >
> >Many of the motions I have seen on the list are what I would call
> >"half-baked" - they are not precise in what they want to achieve, they are
> >not precise in how they are formulated, and they are emphatically not the
> >most useful comment the GA could make into a situation.
> >
> >If the GA is to spend the resources to go through a vote, I think we need
> >at least to take the time to formulate it properly.
> >Roberto and I probably used the voting mechanism too rarely.

> [...]

Leah Gallegos
AtlanticRoot Network, Inc. http://www.biztld.net
The DotBIZ tld Registry - the REAL one.  Stop ICANN
from duplicating the .BIZ tld in their root and fracturing
the Internet!
ALSO, visit http://www.TLDlobby.com.