[ga] Agenda for the Stockholm Meeting

The Chair & GA Members

I have received a lot of support and welcome suggestions from members of this
list.  I thank them for their contributions.  One comment was that a lot of
people are frustrated with the level of noise on the GA. This was partly because
we haven't yet worked out what our "work" is.

It is perhaps true that when a group agrees upon work, they often coalesce and
... work.

I think there's a problem in direction but I think that there's also a lack of
definition in process and this chews up a lot of energy.  The election, for
example, opened a number of issues eg how many endorsements, what to do
when a candidate resigns, etc.  The list rules have also led to debate.

My feeling is that we should be driving the agenda in a more proactive way, not
just responding to the ICANN staff initiatives (like the Verisign contract).  I
am sure that, with goodwill, we can hammer out acceptable compromises (sorry,
consensus) on a whole range of policy issues.

My suggestion is that we start promoting a specific agenda for the GA meeting in
Stockholm.  Some policy issues that come to mind (in alhabetical order) are:

Accounting & Reporting
Alternate Root Systems (Colliders)
Conflict of Interests
Consensus Process
Constituency Structure
Dispute Resolution
Dot Org and Non-Profits
Generic & Chartered Domains
    (.com, .edu, .org, .us, etc.)
Electoral Procedures
Finance & Funding Support
ICANN Directors
Individual Constituency
List Rules & Protocols
Mailing List Facilities
Membership Structure
Multilingual DNS
Names Council Relationship
Outreach & Participation
Registrant/Whois Privacy
Registrar Accreditation, QA
Registry-Registrar Separation
Verisign Agreement
Voting and Electoral Issues
Website & Communication
Working Groups

It has also been suggested that we should also request directly to Philip & Paul
Kane (with copies to nc members) specific  inclusion of ga chair & co-chair in
next Names Council teleconf with budgeted time to promote the GA agenda for the
next year.  This seems to be a valuable idea and I thank the relevant person.

I'm sure I speak for you, Danny, when I say that we would welcome any feedback
from the list on what priority should be given to items on the proposed agenda..

Regards
Patrick Corliss
Co-Chair Elect