RE: [ga] Re: iCANN's protection

The Public Utilities Commision that you are refering to is neither a
privately held corporation, nor is it ANY other sort of non-governmental
organization. It is a direct component of the government, a regulatory body.

> It does not provide direct service; rather it
> oversees the work and pricing of those organizations that DO provide
> service.  I have never heard anyone refer to such a commission as a
monopoly.

> Please explain why you DO refer to a public utilities
> commission as a monopoly.

[Not so nice a twist and you know it. I'd cut you some slack on this sloppy
logic. But, I just >know< that you're going to use it again later.]

He didn't make the connection to the PUC, you did. Please explain why you
don't think a PUC is a governmental or regulatory body.

> If you do not refer to them that way, then please explain the
> operational differences between the role and style of ICANN, versus such
> a commission.

ICANN is a privately held CA corp. It is NOT a regulatory body.

However, ICANN does hold a USG contract, making it a USG contractor. Thus,
making it immune from various anti-trust regulations, as a USG agent.