But what was the subject? [Re: [ga] Re: iCANN's protection]

Kent Crispin wrote:

>Indeed, there is a great deal of value in Froomkin's paper.  I read it,
>and I believe that I largely understood what I read.  It presents an
>interesting view of things.  It's just a pity that it wasn't written by
>someone with a bit less of a ax to grind.

I am quoting this, but I could have quoted similar passages in dozens of
other posts in the last days. I just happen to read this at the end of my
effort in catching up my e-mail.

I am wondering who are the readers of this list.

Are they people that have understood so far that:
- Prof. Froomkin is critical of ICANN
- Kent Crispin is not critical of ICANN
- Dave Crocker, among other things, is a consultant for NeuStar
- Patrick Corliss, GA AltChair, is an officer of TLDA
- Chris Ambler is an officer of IOD, candidate registry for .web
- Marylin Cade works for AT&T
.... and so on, and so forth?

Each of us, at least those here since some time, have our own bias (I do
too, but since I'm biased, I don't see my own bias - exercise for you to
figure it out).
Each and every reader of this list should have figured out, so far.

What is the point in telling in every post what the biases are, sometimes
even forgetting to reply on the merit of the matter?
I personally *do disagree* with a lot of points of the analysis of Prof.
Froomkin (and he knows). But I don't even have the time to reply on the
merit of some statements, because I have hundreds of e-mails that have an
innocent subject line, when they are dedicated to demolish not the idea, but
the people behind it.

Yes, I do believe that Prof. Froomkin is biased (against ICANN).
I do think that sometimes (often?) he exagerates in the criticism of ICANN,
but sometimes (often?) he sees things I do not see at first glance. Is he
acting this way to improve his career, or because he genuinely thinks what
he writes? I do not know, and frankly I do not care.

Yes, I do believe that Kent Crispin is biased (for ICANN).
I do think that sometimes (often?) he exagerates in defending ICANN, but
sometimes (often?) he sees things I do not see at first glance. Is he acting
this way because of economical ties with ICANN, or because he genuinely
thinks what he writes? I do not know, and frankly I do not care.

I would like to get to the point in which people read the posts, make their
own judgement, pass to the next, and do reply when they have a counter
argument *on the matter* not *about the author*.

Besides, often when laymen (laypeople?) read a post with argumentation by
Mr./Ms. Smith, and the next post is one by Mr./Ms. Jones saying how badly
biased Smith is, and how obvious it is that he/she is biased because [insert
your reason here], the first reaction is: "Mmmmhh, maybe Jones is biased
too!?!".

I do not snip the remainder of the message, so you can enjoy how direct on
the substance of the discussion the argumentations were.
BTW, somebody remembers what the original point under debate was? It sure
does not appear from the dialogue below.

Regards
Roberto