RE: [ga] I want to be on the Inclusivbe Name Space SIG ML

Hello Jefsey

<SNIP>
|> You will therefore continue to say, "let assume that I
|> name private the left third leg of the bird, I say
|> that the public arm of the cow is to be leading the
|> tail policy of the hippo". And I will keep saying "let
|> first consider that a bird has two legs, the hippo no
|> real tail and the cow no arm". To what you will respond
|> that I am generic and that in your context you
|> understand yourself. This is probably true, but I don't
|> and I am unable to use your points for both of us to go ahead...
<SNIP>

The main problem with such analogies is that they are misleading and
confusing.  To rephrase your one to fit the view I hold.  We have a
bird that gradually evolves with two legs.  Someone comes along with
the idea of adding another leg to the bird but it resists so that
person trails along attempting to affix a third leg that is shorter
than the other two as they think the bird would benefit from having a
third leg.  The bird evolves a bit more and starts to grow a third leg
along the same lines as the two other legs it has.  The person
trailing along attempting to affix their own third leg is affronted at
this, it was their idea the bird would benefit from having another leg
and attempts to force the bird to use their leg.

As you can see, such stories can be made to fit any position.  We can
agree to disagree.

One of the issues I have with the private name spaces having
precedence over the public name space, for instance in the .biz case
is that anyone can create a private name space and lay claim to the
TLD's created without any due process and auditing of the processes
involved being in place.  I can have a .dhs TLD in operation within
hours and have it populated with over a 100,000 users within a month.
The ability to do so does not assign me any rights over the public
name space.  If I want the .dhs TLD in the public name space I need to
follow the procedures and process assigned to the establishment of
such TLD's.   The current process is slow, expensive and very
dissatisfying for a large number of people.  However, it is evolving
and by participating we can assist it to evolve in directions that the
majority wish or will best serve the public interests.

I do not see giving additional rights to private name spaces as
serving the public interest.  I may be wrong.

One thing I do know, if the private name space TLD .biz forces ICANN
to not release the public .biz or if ICANN grants the operator of the
private TLD .biz additional rights to others, it will encourage myself
and a lot of others to create their own private name space TLD's and
lay claim to them.  Not a situation we would want to see I suggest.

It is not my intention to preclude negotiation between ICANN and the
private name space operators.  However, I would like to see such
negotiation bound to attempts in bringing the private name spaces back
into the public name space, not granting them rights to any TLD's but
negotiation on process and the restrictions on creating and granting
Registry status to new TLD's within the public name space.

I would like to see the process of creating additional TLD's less
restrictive and timely.  We are not totally at odds Jefsey. :)

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch.