Re: [ga] Dave: "they are free"

Hi Roberto

> I will fight for their rights to run alternate roots, *not* their supposed
> right to get into the root co-ordinated by somebody else.

You don't really believe that ICANN could charge US $50,000 to recommend adding
a TLD string into a root server if it wasn't an abuse or misuse of their
monopoly power.

In other words, why else would ICANN have the power to make you pay.

> But this not because they are good or bad: because otherwise everybody will
> feel authorized to wake up one nice morning, and claim an ASCII string (and
> soon Unicode string) as proprietary and, in name of the sacred principles,
> be allowed in the root.

Your argument is simply stating the problem we are all (or, at least, most of
us) are familiar with.  But the way you are arguing is supporting the monopoly
power position.  For a humane, internet-savvy person, it is not a good argument.

Wouldn't you like to see a low-cost TLD for charities, NGOs, etc.?  Why should
everything be under the control of a single omnipotent, all-conquering  ICANN?

Personally I like to see a bit of diversity in my life.  And varieties other
than vanilla.

Best regards
Patrick Corliss

I'm sure this is five by now.