Re: [ga] Death Struggle in Name Space

PacificRoot Hostmaster wrote:

> Listen Very closely k?
>
> ICANN is not authoritative for a zone - a nameserver is. A nameserver is a
> machine,

Yes. And the authoritative servers for the Internet root zone are the ones
NSI/Versign runs under ICANN authority.

( Arguably, this is unfortunate and that zone is badly mis-managed. I'm
  inclined to think that myself. However, that is irrelevant to this
  discussion. )

I can have my own private root with .cat and .dog. Those domains will
not work for anyone except me and a few friends who also use my DNS
servers. They remain private, just as my RFC 1918 addresses might.

You can build any private root you like with whatever domains you like.
You can even sell second level domains there, if anyone wants to buy
them.

Of course, if you start marketing these without giving customers accurate
information on their status -- private names usable by anyone who chooses
to do so, but not part of the standard Internet name space -- then you're
skating on exceedingly thin ice.

The whole rhetoric of "upgrading" to an "inclusive" name space from the
"deprecated" ICANN system is bogus. It might be fair to say you are
"augmenting" the "standard" ICANN system, but methinks that's the most
generous interpretation possible without telling your customers outright
lies.

> and ICANN is a bunch of drycleaned, pressed, unelected, and
> larcenous collusion artists.

( I think you're overstating this, though to some extent I agree. In any
  case, this is entirely irrelevant to the question of what should happen
  about the .biz collision. )