Re[2]: [ga] Critics say VeriSign still has...

Hello Kent,

Tuesday, April 10, 2001, 10:57:48 PM, Kent Crispin wrote:
> Right.  But .com is popular, and sld registries are not.  Moreover,
> other TLDs are not popular -- people constantly forget that there are
> 240 odd other TLDs out there.

> That is, the popularity of .com is a sociological phenomenon.

This argument doesn't stand.  There has been a stigma against those
240 odd other TLDs, in that they are considered "localized" domains,
and when people think of the internet, they don't think of "localized"
things, they think of the international scope.  Sure, you and I know
it's purely semantics, but that's the fact (speaking from real life
experience here Kent).

Whereas new TLDs that are NOT tied to what is considered a localized
naming scheme are not going to suffer from that stigma.

Using popularity of ccTLDs as a baseline for the popularity of new
international open gTLDs is about as fallacious as you can get.

But then you already knew that.

--
Best regards,
 William                            mailto:william@userfriendly.com