RE: [ga] collisions in namespace (was gTLD Constituency)

I respectfully disagree.  I can only conclude from your comments below that
it is a marketing collision (or problem), if anything.  Here's why I believe
this to be so:

Anyone that has registered a .biz domain name has been forewarned that "the
new top-level domains require that either you or your ISP have UPGRADED from
the functionally obsolete ICANN Legacy Namespace to the ORSC INCLUSIVE
NAMESPACE in order for you and your visitors to see the domains you are
about to register!". (http://www.pacificroot.com/register.shtml)

Of course, I would suggest that the use of the term "UPGRADED" in the quote
above is rather misleading to the consumer (FTC anyone?), but putting that
aside for the moment, it seems to me that all the alternative roots have to
do is merely convince all the ISPs, etc. to point to their root.  And, if
all the ISPs, etc. want to do that, fine.  If half want to point to ICANN's
root and the other half want to point to an alternative root, fine again.  I
see this as a marketing problem for the alternative roots, not a technical
one for the entire Internet.  And, unless someone can convince me that there
is indeed a technical problem here, I believe the term "collision" is
inappropriate in this context.  It conjures up images of failed
transmissions, data packets colliding, etc., none of which seem to be at
stake here.

As for creating problems for the ISP and keeping track of two different .biz
names they might be hosting, well, tough...the ISPs are just going to have
to pick a horse to ride.  Do they want to ride the one that currently has
the most viewers or do they want to ride the new kid on the block with
potential but less viewers.  IMHO, it's a business decision for the ISPs,
etc., plain and simple.  It might even be likened to the VHS/Betamax dilemma
for VCR manufacturers, tape manufacturers, etc. a couple decades ago.  Did
they want to ride the less used but supposedly more technically advanced
Betamax horse or did they want to ride the more popular but less technically
advanced VHS horse. (Note: My comment on whether VHS or Betamax was more
technically advanced should not be construed as a comment on the technical
capabilities of either the ICANN root or the alternative roots.)

Anyway, my suggestion to the alternative roots is to think and do marketing,
marketing, marketing.  And if they don't get busy real soon, somebody new
with deep marketing pockets just might show up right around the corner,
steal all the thunder, and create a third .biz.  Oops, too late!  They
already did!  New.Net, anyone?  (Okay, okay...so new.net isn't offering
.biz...yet!  Sorry to scare some of you out there.  But there is not a thing
in the world preventing them from doing so if they wanted to.)

Anyway, I think I proved my point...I have way too much time on my hands
these days.  Phew!

Regards,

Jeff
--