[ga] Critics say VeriSign still has...

Thanks to everyone for jumping on that one.  I expected a boatload of objections, and some support.  So far we see both.  People making the point about equating a domain with a Web site have a good point.  That does further complicate the determination of what hoarding is.  But how about simply disallowing resale of domains by anyone but a registrar, at a standard price?  The complexities of this (based on transfer of trademarks and what have you) are probably far less significant than determining "hoarding."

That said, let's talk about the juvenile responses.  It seems that when a list member doesn't have any real point to make, he resorts to an analysis of someone's E-mail address as a basis for ridicule.  I'm sure we all remember the elementary-school jibes about jo-uk being some kind of joke, with people going so far as to check on the participant's employment.  A real contribution to our purpose here and very fair to the holder of that E-mail address, don't you think?

Thousands upon thousands of people work at Autodesk, most of whom have nothing to do with legal activities.  A lot of them (me included) would strongly disapprove of any bullying behavior.  Unfortunately, nobody called me to ask for permission.  I suggest that those of you who want to go after bullies send some messages to IBM, which is reviled throughout the industry as the biggest bully in the world, thanks to its  pummeling of competitors with specious patent claims.

I took a look at that list of domains registered to Autodesk, thinking that I would probably agree that they were bogus.  But as far as I can see, every one is relevant to Autodesk's businesses.  I don't see things like ICECREAM.COM, or LEATHERCARE.COM in there.  I typed a few into my browser; some worked, and some didn't.  And I still say, use it or lose it.  They should lose any of them that they don't use, but admittedly this may be impossible to enforce.

And what about misuse of NET and ORG?  I sent a message to Network Solutions last year asking them why they were suggesting ORG and NET domains to everyone, when you're supposed to be a non-profit organization or a network-services provider to use those domains.  They said they don't enforce those anymore, because they couldn't.  So your apparent complaint against the Autodesk names has all the same weaknesses as my argument against domain-name hoarding: It's way too subjective and can't be enforced.  I agree with you; these domains had a stated purpose and were supposed to be enforced.  But the registrar simply gave up.

So, if you want to keep this organization from being a bigger joke than it already is in the minds of many (thanks to recent press coverage), stop making fun of people's E-mail addresses.

Gavin Stokes
Ambitious Productions
Chicago, IL