RE: [ga] New Privacy Initiative

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Roeland Meyer wrote:

<snip>

> > But probably not for much longer.  The story is that the US
> > is about to use the
> > WTO to overturn EU privacy laws concerning Data Security
> > which are thought to
> > constrain US business.
>
> Can you provide URL for this?

This was thought to have been sorted in about March 2000 - the EU allowed the
export of personal information about individuals to US businesses provided the
US business could show that it would apply the same level of Data Security as
was required in the EU.

In March 2000 no agreement had been reached about the Financial Services
industry.

I am unable to provide a URL for the recent story as I cannot remember in which
newspaper I read it.

You can find the March 2000 story at http://news.bbc.co.uk if you search for
"data protection EU US" on that site.

Joe