Re: [ga] No Members?

The only document that matters in this context is the certificate of incorporation. That's located at http://www.icann.org/general/articles.htm. Please read the document. I think it says that while ICANN may elect to have members in the future (and spells out some of what those rights will be) nowhere is there a statement that ICANN has members.

The question of whether ICANN _should_ have members is entirely distinct and, I believe, a distraction at this point in time.

Kevin J. Connolly
Attorney and Counselor at Law
Robinson Silverman Pearce Aronsohn & Berman, LLP
1290 Sixth Aveue of the Americas
New York, NY 10104
212-541-1066/fax 212-541-1346
This note is not legal advice. If it were legal advice, it would come with an invoice.

Live, like there's no tomorrow.....
     Love, like you've never been hurt.....
          And dance, like no one's watching.

Kent Crispin wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 11:54:16AM -0500, Bruce James wrote:
> >
> >    _OK, I am dumb.... Why did the Markle Foundation say in its Grant:_
> >
> >    __1) Membership Program Manager - 6 months including benefits
> >    $30,000
> >
> >    _If we don't have any *Members*?? Did ICANN return the money?_
>
> No.  The position was for 6 months, and the 6 months was up some time
> ago.  That is, the program funded by Markle was explicitly short term.

Mr. Crispin, this does not address the obvious issue raised.  It occurred in
a "legal document" and it sets precedent. And it helps to understand the
issue to look at specific examples of how ICANN treats and defines
membership, and whether we have a right to it as internetstakeholders.

Sincerely,

> --
> Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be
> kent@songbird.com                           lonesome." -- Mark Twain

The information contained in this electronic message is confidential
and is or may be protected by the attorney-client privilege, the work
product doctrine, joint defense privileges, trade secret protections,
and/or other applicable protections from disclosure.  If the reader of
this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this com-
munication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communi-
cation in error, please immediately notify us by calling our Help Desk
at 212-541-2000 ext.3314, or by e-mail to helpdesk@rspab.com