Re: [ga] ICANN & other Major Corporations

  • To: "[GA]" <ga@dnso.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ICANN & other Major Corporations
  • From: Sandy Harris <sandy@storm.ca>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 12:38:43 -0400
  • Sender: owner-ga@dnso.org

Kristy McKee wrote:

> Hey, I have a GREAT IDEA!
>
> Every voting American Netizen could get in communication with their
> Government Representatives and help them understand:  1) The Internet,
> 2)  The ICANN, 3)  The IETF.

I very much doubt that most Netizens understand the net in any depth. Yes,
we use it and are aware of some of the issues, but that's not the same. As
for ICANN and the IETF, I suspect many users wouldn't even recognise the
names. I've met "web designers" who did not recognise "W3C" or "SSL"!

So to some extent, what you suggest would be the blind leading the blind.

That said, anyone with some understanding should be both monitoring and
lobbying their elected representatives on net.issues. While you're at it,
do anything you can to inform colleagues, friends, net.acquaintances, the
media, ...