Re: [ga] ICANN not a Governing Body

On 01:36 02/04/01, Eric Dierker said:
>Jefsey I urge caution here,

Urge, urge, plase. You will not change reality.

>The definition of Governing is really a very tough issue and we have to
>be straight on it.  We grappled with this, and to my understanding there
>was no consensus, within the WG-Review.

A consensus is a photography of people's positions. I just state the
reality of my position.

>In one context we simply mean guidance, in another we mean a
>dictator. Also the term leaves pejorative feelings.  Here, the Republicans
>don't like government and the Democrats do.  But that is not true at all
>they both love government, that is what they do after all, but not really.

Your US situation and problem.. No more impact on the Internet than
the way they consider that issue in 243 other countries round the
planet, isn't it?

>Think of that particular word, governess or that device they place on
>vehicles and engines called a governor. Remember just a little bit ago,
>the term governor was like a respectful greeting to a man who
>governed his estate, no matter how small, I think Dickens made great use
>of the term to delineate social classification.

5% of the world's culture. Did you ask yourself about the culture
behind the French initial meaning and its associated words:
gouvernance, gouverneur, gouvernorat, gouvernement, gouverne,
gouvernail, gouvernant, gouvernante ... and the  Spanish governador,
in Chinese, in Indish, in German, Italian, etc...

>My point is that if we stick ICANN into or out of a classification then
>we cause problems that are not necessary.  When I write policy, and
>this is a secret, when I do not want to make it too specific I use the
>term Government.

iCANN is everything but a Gov. Calling a brid a cat - however very
politician - will never solve any problem.

>If my children did not have their wonderful mother I would be a dictator,
>but alas I am only an advisory body to her governance, but nevertheless
>I help govern and so does ICANN.

NO. Unless at home the home keeper provides guidance to you
tell your wife.

>I hope this clarifies and does not cause derisiveness gov.

This may help you understanding that we disagree. But I am
not sure about the way you consider the iCANN.

>ICANN makes major contributions to the policy and governance
>of the Internet. Most assuredly someone or something must, or
>we have anarchy.

We certainly head towards anarchy because of iCANN attitude.
When the home keeper runs the show there is anarchy hiome.

>  Which is why we must welcome Mr. Corliss, we must embrace
>these alternative netstyle guys, or we start walking a bad road
>to no "Governance". (as in no self restraint & embattlement).

Sure we must welcome Patrick. I am a more "alternative
netstyle guy" than Patrick if you mean "inclusive" by "alternative"

>The APA applies when the U.S. "gov" lets someone else practice
>control over a U.S. resource.  From running the Colorado on a
>boat through the grand canyon, to cattle graizing leases, to
>Satellites and Super Computers this is how we do it.

The APA does not apply to the iCANN as the iCANN does not
manage any US resource. It only serve the USA as 243 other
countries in listing three or four lines about the ".us" zone
server in the master-root.

APA however may apply to some parts of the iCANN as long
as the US interests are concerned, as the French administrative
law applies as far as French telecom interests are involved,
as it is true in 242 other countries as well.

>Therefor technically we may be correct in saying it is not a
>governing body, but that is all we get - a technical distinction,
>like some lawyer might make. Nothing helpful to understanding.

White is white, black is black. There is a tale in French litterature
about a frog who wanted to be a bull and took more and more air
in its lungs to be larger and bigger. It just blown up. If we do not
help the iCANN to rememeber they are a frog, they will continue
to try looking like a bull and will blow up.

Jefsey