From: owner-ga@dnso.org [mailto:owner-ga@dnso.org]On Behalf Of William
X. Walsh
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2001 4:38 AM
To: Eric Dierker
Cc: Harald Tveit Alvestrand; jandl@jandl.com; jp@ADNS.NET; ga@dnso.org;
babybows.com; admin@tlda.org
Subject: Re[2]: [ga] Top Level Domain Association - NO CONFLICT OF
INTEREST

Hello Eric,

Saturday, March 31, 2001, 2:56:49 AM, Eric Dierker wrote:

> I am sorry but I have not seen anything about the man JW.  Where I come
from a man
> who stands for nothing will fall for anything.

Eric, if you don't know who he is, then perhaps you need to take into
account how new you are to the process, and that maybe you should look
into more than just the events in few months that the At-Large has
been around, which brought many "newbies" such as yourself to the process.

I do not mean the term as derogatory, btw, I hope you understand
that, I too was once a "newbie" to the domain policy arena, some 5
years ago.

> It seems as though Mr, Corliss stands for himself, regardless of
affiliations.

The GA Chair will need to stand for the GA, not for himself or his
affiliations.  A GA chair is not elected for his VIEWS on the issues,
but for his ability to help build consensus and to advocate that
consensus to the NC, which is his primary role.  A good GA chair's
views will be irrelevant.  Roberto is a perfect example of that. His
past affiliation with CORE was a point that many people considered
very carefully, but in his selection, most of us felt that as a
person, Roberto's ability to work with diverse people in reaching
compromise, and his ability to stay out of the more intense fray's,
not to mention his integrity, were vastly more important than "where
is stood" on various issues, such as non-profit "public trust"
management of TLDs, and other issues were I and others have disagreed
with him.

A good Chair will not be elected for his views, but will be elected
DESPITE his views.

> If this seems rude I apologize but are we just supposed to know Jonathan?

No, I gave a reason why I endorsed him.  Unlike many others, I take my
endorsement seriously, and believe that when you endorse someone, you
should state why you are doing so, so that others may benefit from it,
or discount it as they see fit.

> Keep in mind this is from someone that was kept from being a candidate by
Mr.
> Alternative Chair.

You were not kept from being a candidate by anyone, Eric.

--
Best regards,
 William                            mailto:william@userfriendly.com