From: Jeff Williams [mailto:jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com]
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2001 2:02 AM
To: Eric Dierker
Cc: Peter de Blanc; ga@dnso.org
Subject: Re: [ga] Names Council vote

Eric and all remaining assembly members,

  I am a little surprised at Peters position here as well.  Seems that maybe
he has been "Gotten to" by someone?  However given that the DNSO
Chair has instituted a BAN on my posting to the GAL list inappropriately
such a possibility is not to far fetched.

Eric Dierker wrote:

> I am afraid nearsightedness has got the best here.  Some in this world and
> expect I can include those in the .vi sphere would agree that a domain
name is
> something of value to the holder.  I expect your livelihood depends on
that fact
> being true and that all ccTLD managers respect that as a truth. Also that
their
> jobs are partially a function of maintaining that value and the value of
the
> ccTLD to the country.
> With that said. And I very much respect your monetary acumen, and
personally
> felt your pain when scolded about your financial decisions in Melbourne.
> What you describe below is micro economics and countries are hopefully
working
> on macro economics.  But you know this and so I wonder why the need for
the
> faulty justification.
> The agreements you just endorsed are bad for the value of Domain Names as
> whole for a myriad of reasons. By your actions you have potentially
damaged the
> value of every ccTLD for the sake of saving an entry fee.  Not like you
Mr. de
> Blanc, what is up?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Peter de Blanc wrote:
>
> > Speaking personally, as there was insufficient time to obtain even a
> > representative straw poll of ccTLDs, I could not support the "blanket
> > assumption" of that particular resolution, as worded, because I believe
the
> > financial impact to ccTLDs.
> >
> > Under the current contract, the contributions to ICANN from
VeriSign/NetSol
> > are capped at $ 250,000 for the registry and $ 2 million for the
registrar.
> > As the iCANN budget increases, (which it will), and the number of
> > registrations in .com increase, this has the effect of reducing the cost
per
> > name to VeriSign, while INCREASING the contribution and cost per name of
> > ccTLD registries.
> >
> > >From a purely financial viewpoint, "option B" will guarantee a decrease
in
> > the contributions of ccTLDs to the overall ICANN budget.
> >
> > You will note that even though VeriSign insists that there is no "option
C"
> > available, I did support the next resolution, where the NC advises the
board
> > to request renegotiation of a few points in "option B" in order to
reflect a
> > more equitable result, if "option B" is to become a reality.
> >
> > Peter de Blanc

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827