Re: [ga] Names Council vote

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 14:55:50 -0600, you wrote:

>Interesting to see the ccTLD brigade vote for the new agreement. Do they
>see it as detrimental to the growth of the gTLD's, and thus something that
>might see them with more business?

Speaking personally I was very saddened by the ccTLDs voting in favour
of it because the reasons put forward seem to be that the main
consideration was what would be good for ccTLDs not what would be good
for the internet community as a whole.

The ccTLDs debate mainly focused on the fact that Verisign would have
it fee cap removed and hence the ccTLDs are less likely to be asked to
increase funding of ICANN.

I personally think the ccTLDs are the ones who should be most worried
by what has happened as they are being asked to cede policy rights to
ICANN and this process has shown that ICANN appears to have a very
narrow view of what is policy and what is contract.

DPF
--
david@farrar.com
ICQ 29964527