RE: $200 million (was [ga] Draft Resolution)

Let me first of all reiterate what I just said in a response to Michael
Froomkin: :  "Under the existing agreement, there is a commitment for $0.
Under the new agreements, there is a commitment for $200M."

I'm not sure what you mean Dave when you say that the draft agreement only
refers to .com.  There are three draft agreements, one for .com, one for
.net and one for .org.  Under the three new agreements, the VeriSign
Registry would be involved in all three TLDs for differing amounts of time
and in the case of .org, the agreement specifically allows for continuing
use of some of our infrastructure after we are no longer the registry.

The $200M commitment was not made for "registry services in general" but to
research and development and infrastructure.  Increased assurance that we
will continue as the registry for .com puts us into a situation where it
makes more business sense to increase our investment in R&D and
infrastructure.  Such investment will directly benefit the .org and .net
registries while we are still associated with them and will also potentially
benefit the .org and .net registries under other organizations' control as
well as other registries if they elect to take advantage of the
infrastructure we build.  With regard to R&D, increased investment there
would be expected to benefit the Internet community as a whole.

Chuck (Post # 3, 21 Mar 2001)