RE: [ga] [ADMIN] Posting counts

Yes, we need to hear from Chuck as much as possible!

Peter de Blanc

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ga@dnso.org [mailto:owner-ga@dnso.org]On Behalf Of Weisberg
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2001 12:47 PM
To: Bret Fausett
Cc: ga@dnso.org
Subject: Re: [ga] [ADMIN] Posting counts

I am sure we all share Bret's sentiments.

Bret Fausett wrote:

> Harald Alvestrand wrote:
> > The list monitor will take action if participants continue to display
> > consistent high volume posting.
>
> As the primary topic under discussion is the Verisign agreements, it's
> entirely appropriate that Mr. Gomes respond to the various comments. I'd
> suggest the limit not be enforced as to him for the next two weeks.

Indeed, I had written (but, held) the following observations, which I
now share:

I appreciate the service performed by Mr. Alvestrand during his term as
alternate chair.  He has been
instrumental in moving this body a long way toward functionality.  For
many, participation in that
process has required the imposition of rules which others (me, included)
do not consider to be
efficacious.  He has graciously suffered our disagreement and performed
the thankless task he has assumed.

The instant case illustrates both the basis of our disagreement and its
amelioration under Harald's
administration.

  - Chuck Gomes: 8

  The recommended per-day posting limit for one list member is 5.

Obviously, everything Chuck has to say on this list is appreciated and
encouraged.  His "excesses" in
this case were in response to questions and objections on an issue of
significant current concern about
which he is peculiarly knowledgeable and, it appears, "lonely."  Thus,
the burden of explanation, if not
advocacy, falls almost exclusively upon his shoulders.  I don't think
any of us, including the list
administrator, wanted him to limit his participation in conformity with
the posting
RECOMMENDATIONS.

Thus, we should note Harald's flexible approach--

  ...The list monitor will take action if participants continue to
display consistent high volume posting.

I don't think Harald is suggesting that Chuck's participation has been
"consistently" excessive
within these stated parameters.