From: owner-ga@dnso.org [mailto:owner-ga@dnso.org]On Behalf Of Roberto
Gaetano
Sent: Sunday, March 18, 2001 5:58 AM
To: patrick@quad.net.au; william@userfriendly.com
Cc: ga@dnso.org
Subject: Re: [ga] Re: Role of US Government

Patrick, William,

> > > setting up another competing root which is not subject to USG laws
>except
> > > as it relates to internet use within its jurisdiction.
> >
> > But that would not be relevant in this forum, since this forum is
> > dealing exclusive with matters under ICANN's area of control.

>And I'd suggest that it is the Chair who should adjudicate on where the
>line
>should be drawn.  It's like saying we can't discuss the competition.

The issue of alternater roots is clearly on the border line, and
historically the discussion has taken place also in this forum because the
matter is of true interest, even if from a strict point of view is not
related to ICANN.

This said, I would personally recommend (i.e. as a participant, not as
Chair) that we focus in the next few days specifically on the contribution
to give to ICANN + NC on the specifics of the contract, and on the
elections. We have already so many posts to read without engaging in
theoretical discussions on competition and alternate roots, that are not at
all out of order, but possibly badly timed.

Just a personal opinion.

Regards
Roberto