RE: schedule of action Re[2]: [ga] Voting options for the Verisign deal

         I'd suggest a slightly different tack.  It's fairly obvious, from
the postings in the straw poll to date, that a consensus process in the GA
on this issue would generate one of two possible positions:   [1] "As
between the status quo contract and the proposed revision, it is the
consensus of the GA that the status quo contract is preferable"; or [2] "As
between the status quo contract and the proposed revision, the GA cannot
reach consensus as to which is preferable."   I think we've established
that the GA is *not* likely to reach consensus that the proposed revision
is the way to go.  So we've narrowed the options, and that's pretty much
what a straw poll can do for us.  The next step is for proponents of Option
A to generate, as soon as possible, a well-reasoned document stating the
arguments supporting their position, so that that document can be discussed
on the list.  (Roberto has said that he will try to post something
summarizing the arguments so far, but that doesn't mean that others
shouldn't try to produce their own work or to coordinate with him.)  If the
sentiment on the list seems to favor the document, the Chair might consider
working with the Secretariat to schedule a formal vote by the GA whether to
adopt it.  All of this will have to happen quite quickly, perhaps
impossibly quickly, if it is to happen on the Board's timeframe:  If we are
to hold a one-week vote on some proposed document in time to deliver it to
the Board so that the Board members can digest it before their own vote,
our vote will have to begin *no later than a week from now*.

         It would make sense, I think, for any constituency that wants to
submit views in its own name to start its own process going now, without
regard to ours.  I gather that the registrars have already begun doing this.

Jon

Jon ("grizzled veteran of DNSO working-group administration") Weinberg
weinberg@msen.com