Re: [ga] Re: Board descisions

Kent and all remaining assembly members,

Kent Crispin wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 02:59:15PM -0800, William X. Walsh wrote:
> > I agree.
> >
> > This new contract benefits Verisign/NSI the most.
>
> That may or may not be true, but it is in fact totally irrelevant.

  How is this irrelevant?

>  It
> is very important to understand this:  It is quite possible that the
> new arrangement favors NSI, but is still the best for the Internet
> community.  This is NOT a zero sum game, and it is important not to let
> one's dislike of Verisign be the only deciding issue.

  Agreed.

> Please understand: I am *NOT* a fan of NSI.
>
> > They get to keep .com, they get to keep their registrar,
>
> ...under a set of restrictions, a material breach of which would throw
> the contract open to rebid.  Moreover, with the old contract they will
> almost certainly keep all three of .com,.net, and .org.  It is true
> that there is a rebid in 2007, but the terms of the contract include
> such factors as experience in running the registry, and the terms also
> contemplate only a singly award for all three TLDs.
>
> >  and they get
> > to have net/org spun off as restricted TLDs that do not compete with
> > .com for registrations.
>
> No, that is not true.  .org and .net are spun off with NO contractual
> restrictions.  ALL the discussion of what might happen to them is
> speculation, and ICANN has made it clear that NO changes in policy
> would be made unless the community decided it. (*)

  This remains to be seen.  And to the contrary, Mike Roberts has made
moises to the contrary on the ICANN-EU ML.

> > The changes are to the benefit of Verisign/NSI, not to the benefit of
> > the internet community.
> >
> > The original contract should be held up.
>
> Perhaps.  I haven't made up my mind on the issue -- what I really would
> like is that no single entity should control more than one of a
> registry or registrar, but that is not one of the options -- the very
> worst that NSI can do is still awfully good for them.
>
> (*) "Louis said in his posting that the issues about the future of .org
> are policy decisions that should go through the consensus process."
>  -- Joe Sims, in http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/council/Arc04/msg00901.html

  THe referenced archive you provide here is more of a questionable
admonishment of Milton Mueller than a supporting comment to your
assertion.  To Wit, from your referenced archive posting:
"As has been obvious for some time, Milton, you are easily appalled, but it
   would be useful if you would read before you write.  Louis said in his
   posting that the issues about the future of .org are policy decisions that
   should go through the consensus process.  With respect to all the other
   issues you raise, these are either the results of a previous consensus
   process, including recommendations by the DNSO, or mere contract terms,
   which are not policy issues.   A policy is just that; it is not a contract
   term.  You, like everyone else, are perfectly free to offer whatever views
   you want on the contracts, which is why they were posted, but they are
   clearly not matters on which referral to the DNSO is required or warranted.
   It seems to me it would be more useful to focus your limited time on the
   substance of the issues you want to address, rather than continuing to tilt
   at this particular windmill."

> --
> Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be
> kent@songbird.com                           lonesome." -- Mark Twain

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827