Re: [ga] New contracts

Kent Crispin wrote:

>Both the status quo and the proposed changed agreements are
>disgustingly sweet deals for NSI.  I have resigned myself to that --
>they were given a gigantic gift by the USG, and they have milked it for
>all it is worth, and now they are in a very strong position.  But we
>have to make decisions based on reality, not fantasy.

OK.
There are several issues involved, and reality is that we will not have a
"perfect" world (supposing that we even could agree among ourselves on what
"perfect" would be).
But maybe we could score some points.

The issues:
- separation between Registrar/Registry
- periodical rebid of the contracts
- separation of .com/.org/.net (different Registries)
Anything else?

For me, by far the most important still is the separation, and therefore if
we have to choose a single point on which to concentrate the efforts, it
should be this one.
The reason is that the experience of these last years shows that it is the
fact that NSI/Verisign is both a Registry and a Registrar that creates the
unbalanced competition situation. I wonder how the whole story about rushing
into multinational domain names before giving time to the IETF to come up
with a standard would have been conducted with a separation between Registry
and Registrar: NSI was able to force the Registrars into the so-called
"testbed", that all registrars had to swallow, because the Registry NSI and
the Registrar NSI would have been able to go forward with or without the
others.
This is the real situation of abuse of dominant position that ICANN should
try to limit. On the other hand, I see an agreement rushed through that
propose to throw away for good the idea of separation between the front end
(Registrar) and back end (Registry).

Regards
Roberto