Re: [ga] ICANN TO LOSE COUNTRY CODES?

Hello Darrell,

If the article didn't make comments like this one:
+++++++++++++++
Suppose the .uk names were ultimately registered in a single text file
- as they all are right now - not in Herndon Virginia, home of the NSI
(actually, it's owned by NSI's parent company Verisign) but on a
server in the Anyplace Islands. British users, or anyone else wanting
to click to a .uk domain would need to access Anyplace or one of its
downstream name servers. How would they do that? Through their ISP.
+++++++++++++++

which clearly shows they have no understanding of how the system works
and what is really being discussed, it might have been interesting.

But with such obvious errors in their understanding, I do not believe
their understanding of the issues at hand are very solid either, and
are instead based on the sounding offs of certain alt.roots advocates
who are taking things more than a little out of context when talking
to uninformed reporters such as this one.  TheRegister is known for
writing stories from time to time that are later shown to be totally
offbase, and I think this is probably one of them.

> ICANN TO LOSE COUNTRY CODES?
> Country code chiefs have formed a working group that is
> considering alternatives to letting ICANN manage their
> ccTLDs on its root server.  The move follows resentment
> from country code leaders that feel excluded from ICANN's
> decision-making on policies affecting the Internet.

Best regards,
 William                            mailto:william@userfriendly.com