Re: CONSENSUS? [ga] DNSO General Assembly call to change seating rule

Kent Crispin wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 11, 2000 at 11:11:03AM -0600, Weisberg wrote:
> >
> > The issue of legitimacy is quite real.
>
> Yes, but you overlook a very fundamental question.  Legitimacy with
> whom?

No.  I defined "legitimacy" in terms of the governed, and their power to
affect who shall represent them.  How would you define it?

> > The SO  and ALM elected
> > representatives can speak with a higher level of authority than those
> > appointed without such processes.
>
> That is a point to be proven, not an axiom.

Assuming the definition of "legitimacy" stated, above, isn't the proof
self-evident?

> Arguably, the initial board
> members were chosen for their objectivity, for their ability to stand
> above the fray.  If that objectivity has high value, then the initial
> board members are the ones with higher authority.

Those are criteria to be weighed by represented."
If they, in fact, choose these people to represent them, your conclusion is
supported.  Short of that process, yours" is a point to be proven, not an
axiom."