Re: [ga] ".tel" proposed gTLD, and the like

At 22:27 04/11/2000 +0100, Jefsey Morfin wrote:
>I wander about the proposed gTLD ".tel" (there might be others,
>now or in the future in the same case). IMHO such propositions
>concerning a telecom or an internet service should be prevented
>from being allocated a TLD (and the DNSO should warn the BoD
>against such an error)

There are 3 different applications for .tel - pulver, number.tel and telnic.

pulver basically replicates e164.arpa under the root, but wants to keep
ownership of all numbers "to promote competition for number-related services".
It already has an operational structure under e164.com, btw.

number.tel wants a flat namespace under .tel, and should be rejected for
operational preposterousness.

the telnic proposal seems to be for an open TLD.

So I think you are only criticizing the pulver proposal?

My personal comment is that I'd like to propose to ICANN that no
application for a purpose that can easily be fulfilled using a subdomain of
an existing domain be accepted - but that could easily be taken to reject
ALL proposals, and that argument was lost long ago.....

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, alvestrand@cisco.com
+47 41 44 29 94