Re: [ga] Fuzz about Froomkin

Harald Alvestrand wrote:
> the more interesting point is what we should propose to replace them.
> I think a motion that calls for Frank Fitzsimmons, Hans Kraaijenbrink, Jun
> Murai, and Linda Wilson to resign from the board and leave the chairs empty
> until the rest of the board has decided upon a procedure to fill the 4
> seats would be more complete than a proposal to just have them resign.

There's a default procedure specified in the Bylaws: the current Board
members have the power to fill vacant Board seats by a majority vote.

So if seats become vacant, the question then becomes whether the Internet
community would perceive Board appointees filling the four vacancies as more
legitimate than the four holdover Directors (aka "Boardsquatters").

Personally, I think a complete turnover sends a strong message about ICANN's
institutional integrity and reinforces the commitments made when it was
founded. On principle alone, I would be willing to accept four Directors
appointed by the current Board as interim substitutes, even though I might
perceive those appointees as less "good," by some personal criteria, than
the departing ones. It's just a matter of principle.

So, I'd second the motion too, with full knowledge of the probable
consequence of the vacancies.

            -- Bret