Re: [ga] Slashdot on the Guinness domains case

At 15:26 31/10/2000 -0800, William X. Walsh wrote:

>I'm sure a lot of people here read slashdot regularly, but for those
>that don't this might be of interest:
>
>http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/10/31/1719237&mode=thread

one interesting aspect of this is that several slashdot readers (who
normally are very anti-control, anti-corporate and therefore often
anti-icann) did not think the decision entirely unreasonable.

Quote one, sachmet (pkrawczy.hates.spam@spam.hates.uiuc.edu):

>Let's look at the facts:
>
>      * The guy got pissed at Guinness and registered a bunch of domain names
>        that, in effect, stated Guinness sucks.
>      * Guinness got pissed and played hardball to have the domains removed.
>        The guy never responded to the WIPO inquiry - and he had A MONTH
> to do so!
>      * The guy has registered (and had taken away) numerous other domain
>        names he registered in bad faith - the docket lists 5 other cases
>        he's been involved in
>      * Finally, instead of doing something - ANYTHING - with the domain
>        names, he posts that he took them from Guinness becasue he was pissed
>        they took his original domain to another site.
>
>  I'm sorry, but he DESERVED to have those domains taken away.

For the record: I think the ability to set up "sucks" sites (the ones that
hold negative content about their name-holders) should DEFINITELY be preserved.
And one of my continuing sources of surprise is that the owner of sucks.com
does not sell subdomains.
(sucks.net and sucks.org seem owned by people who aren't even aware of
their sitename....but sucks.com is making a business out of it....)

                     Harald

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, alvestrand@cisco.com
+47 41 44 29 94