Re: [ga] Motion to prepare for Chair elections [was: GA Chairman election]

At 14:00 31/10/2000 +1300, Joop Teernstra wrote:
>But as current Chair, you can process a motion to
>
>1. Create a voters' roll for the GA (publish the names, but not the email
>adresses on the DNSO website)

Already done.

>2. hold elections for Chair as soon as this roll is established, so that a
>new Chair can take his place as your term expires.
>3. petition the Board for a Bylaw amendment that will give such a GA
>elected Chair a legitimate role.

Given the success of the AtLarge, we will inevitably be asked if the few
hundred members of the GA voting registry are truly representative of the
much larger set of interested parties.
In such a small group within a much larger group, there is a very real risk
of "capture by special interests" (other than the present suspects).
So a "tripwire" function to "legally" precipitate a crisis when a problem
occurs is a Good Thing, I think.

I would want to amend the Bylaws (copy from
http://www.dnso.org/dnso/aboutdnso.html) from:

 >(i) The NC shall elect the Chairman of the GA annually.

to:

 >(i) The GA elects its own chair.
 >The NC must confirm the election before the chair can take office.

If the election is confirmed, no problem.
If some election is not confirmed, we have a crisis.

>I am herewith making such a motion.

I am herewith motioning to continue debate before making a motion.

(also, before we can have an election, we need to discuss election
procedures. The ones used for the AtLarge, which I think were Instant
Runoff, seem to have been accepted reasonably well.)

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, alvestrand@cisco.com
+47 41 44 29 94