Re: [ga] TLD feedback from a client

First, why would I want to ask them about that?  TM law does not
preclude the use of a mark for other classes or reasons such as
parody, criticism,news, etc.

Domain names can be and are used for things other than websites -
nameservers, e-mail, other technical operations.  TM holders and
other commercial interests tend to forget that.

Trademarks do not fit into the DNS model do to unique addresses.

Trademarks were instituted to help consumers, not the TM holder.

As for chartered TLDs for Tm holders, IMO, it is one of the few
answers to the need for IP interests to be able to assure consumers
that they are, in fact, reaching the tm'd company or entity they are
looking for.  Ford.reg could be Ford Motors, Inc. while Ford.com
could be Ford Incubators or Ford Insulation Company or Joe Ford.
Of course you then have the question:  Who gets ford.reg?  the
motor co or the model co?  Hmmmm...  Guess it's first come, first
served or perhaps we need .tmk.  Gee, let's have more - 43 maybe?

People became used to using first an operator (physical) to place a
call to another phone; then 3 numbers, then 5, then 7, then 10,
now sometimes 20.  They got used to diffrerent area codes,
dialarounds...  They will become accustomed to numerous tld's and
realize they need a searchable index for company names more and
more.  Now there's another industry which will make a fortune for
more innovation, just as the physical "yellow" pages does.
Advertise and be found easier.  If you want to be found, make sure
you enter your company name and domain name; supply category
and keywords.  White pages by name/domain with reverse lookup.
Simple.  It works for phone numbers.  IT will work for company
domain names.  It's just a matter of education, like any other new
industry.

Other than that, domain names are nothing more than mnemonic
locators for numerical addresses, period.

> > I can think of several applications for an acronym such as ibm.
>
> Uh, you might want to ask them about that.

Why?

> >  How about Ford - motors,
> >  models, Joe Ford, etc. All of them should have the opportunity to
> >  use it.
>
> you might want to ask them about that.

why?   they all have rights.

> > One solution, of course, is to have TLDs dedicated to
> > Trademarks only, such as tmk, reg,...
>
> Well, this is interesting.  I would like to hear more about this.

see above.

Leah