Re: [ga] Quick Question/different answer

On Mon, 2 Oct 2000, Eric Weisberg wrote:

> > I was recently forwarded to
> > > the domain, carpetbaggingbitch.com, which is then redirected to another
> > > site.
> >
> > http://www.hillary2000.org/
> >
> > > The two domains are not owned by the same person.  In fact, the
> > > redirected domain is actually a expressing a negative opinion of the
> > > operator of the redirected to domain.  Anyone know of any laws that would
> > > permit the entry of any United States governing authority?
> >
> > Methinks the First Amendement would prevent any gov't intervention. At any
> > rate, I'd certainly hope so.
> >
> > Of course, there are slander laws, but I'm inclined to doubt a suit under
> > them would succeed.
>
> I find such redirection (mildly) offensive, just as when I am
> redirected to porn sites.  Such redirection is not protected speech
> for several reasons, including the lack of governmental involvement.

Well, just do not enter the domain in question into your browser
(again). It is not like the television you turn on and which gives you a
picture you may not want to see without you having a choice.

[...]
> On the other hand, there seems to be a hijacking in progress, taking
> people where they do not want to go in order to give them information
> which they do not want to receive, using facilities the offender does
> not own. I don't think that is protected speech.  Nor am I convinced
> it should be.

What is the problem? If I own a domain I can put up text, pics even noise.
If you visit it, then do not complain, but leave, if you do not like it.
If you visit it and I redirect you what is the difference? If the content
offends you, how is redirecting different from providing the content
immediately? The only problem I can see, is when I use
EricWeisbergIsABastard.COM and redirect it to a dirty pic or something.
But then I could as well put a dirty pic on the site directly. The damage
would be the same.

So, please, explain to me on what the problem is.

[...]