Re: [ga] Conflicts of interest Policy

> Quite so.  Yet some people have much stronger conflicts than
> others, notably those paid by ICANN (you know who you are,
> people), and those involved in seeking ICANN's blessing for,
> say, new gTLDs they seek to run.

From time to time, including at present, my law firm represents both
trademark holders and domain name registrants in litigated and arbitrated
disputes. We are also presently counseling a company that will submit a new
TLD application next week. I have never charged any of these clients,
however, for time spent participating in any ICANN meeting, process or list.
All of that time is my own. Nevertheless, the fact that I have real world
experience with some of the issues facing the DNSO certainly informs my
occasional comments.

Like you, I'm a lawyer for whom "conflicts of interest" has a defined
meaning with serious professional consequences. But it's not at all clear to
me what "conflicts" means in the context of General Assembly participation.
To the extent that a disclosure like this one is helpful to list members,
I'm happy to make it, but I'm not sure that I'd call these "conflicts."

         -- Bret