Re: [ga] Individual domain name holders and the DNSO

Joop Teernstra wrote:
> It is all very well to start quantifying the hurdles and put a number on
> them, but what is the use if such a goalpost (and its rationale)  does not
> come from the ICANN board?

Hi Joop -- My point was only that if you brought in an application that
exceeded even unrealistically high expectations, how could it be denied?
You're unlikely to get any guidance from the Board, and you may face
opposition from other constituencies. Against that backdrop, your only
choice is to deliver so far above the target that any opposition is unmasked
as self-interested politics.

[snip]

> Hurdle 2: Stable Infrastructure. What does this mean? An absence of
> disagreement or public personality conflicts among members?  A Charter
> approved by the initial 200 and impossible to change by the next 800?
> What about ICANN's bylaws?   Is ICANN itself stable by your definition?

I meant something more mundane. A web site for information, a webmaster, a
mailing list, a physical address to collect mail and checks, a bank account,
and someone willing or paid to handle the day to day details.

> Hurdle 3: (the ability to share the DNSO expenses) is another one.
> Little has been said about this yet. It is good that you raise it, so that
> it can be taken into account that no Disney, Microsoft, CISCO or Oracle are
> standing by to fund this constituency organizing and marketing effort.
> And, since we are of no obvious use to them, no NSI either.  :-)

One reason why an IDNO effort likely will need many more members. At $35 a
year, 1000 people could fund their allocated DNSO responsibilities.

[snip]

> What you are saying is that the organization of this new constituency,
> constructed by individuals from the bottom up, could somehow emerge
> financially strong against all odds and be in all respects more legitimate
> than ICANN itself.
> Is that likely?

I think it is. Especially now. The At Large has brought thousands of new
interested individuals to ICANN. There's now substantial interest in Names
policy from individuals, which could be channeled into a new constituency.

          -- Bret