Re: [ga] DNSO ICANN board member

Kent,
I am sorry. I think you made a dream.

May be you know DNSO is part of the ICANN and ICANN has
initiated a process (of which the DNSO is no part) to open new
TLDs. I joined here because I have two TLDs to open, as you
know .sys and .wiz. with innovative concepts and real market

1) ICANN tells me "give me everything plus $ 50.000 a piece".
     Which is not acceptable, while we still consider it.

2) our other option is to start operating
      -  as an ULD, ie an upper level domain (any one can do it,
         as com.uk for example)
     -   as an alternative root
     (I see no technical difference beut a big marketing one).

3) while we studied this, NSI annouced they had created scores
     of de facto international TLDs (in a marketing sense), that they
     will use an excluive protocol with companies supposed to be our
     registrars, and they copied our concepts and well known name
     in their annoucement. We do not feel protected by ICANN and
     we do not understand (as ccTLD don't either) what ICANN can
     brings us for the price.

Our concern is not old academic histories, but real operations,
business and development.I love poetry, I compose classic music
and I can talk religion and philosophy for hours, but here we are in
a real world with WWW (web world war) at hands.

Please understand that Jon Postel days are *over*. That Ester
Dyson, Mke Roberts, Beky Burr, Jon Sims days are *over*. They
know it it, they said they go. What lies ahead are the professionnal
days. Next chairman is said to be from WorldCom, not anymore a
gentle venture capitalist. Verisgn/NSI made the fest move. Who is
next?. May be we know this week. You have to decide: either
you join force with us the people or if you join forces with them
the big ones. Your decision, not mine.

-  if only a few TLDs they will be expansive and be own by banks,
    air lines, geneal  stores, hotel chains... and forget about small
    companies making business on the web. Rules will change.

-  if TLDs are plenty, ".aol", ".air", ".bank" etc. will still be around,
    we will still have WWW in other fields but the current web will
    still be here. May be the present web will survive.

I am sorry I did not chose the alternative root option: you did in
being trapped in so few TLDs. Giving them a so high value. You
just left me/all of us with the alternative root option. Either you
help us through that situation in explaining around that opening
a new TLD is three words per line on an ascii file or you kill the
web you like.
Again, your decision.
Jefsey