Re: [ga] DNSO ICANN board member

On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 05:57:53PM +0200, Roberto Gaetano wrote:
[...]

> IMHO the problem is not only consistency of the alt.root with a.root,
> but also consistency between alt1.root and alt2.root, which is, still
> IMHO, much more difficult to achieve.

It's worse than that.

One of the fundamental design criteria in the Internet is scaling -- you
always must ask the question "does the design scale well by a few orders
of magnitude".  Talking about consistency between alt1.root and
alt2.root is one thing.  Talking about consistency between alt2587.root
and alt40673.root is something else again.

Note that it is implicit in the alternate root proponents libertarian
fundamentalist position that there should be many alternate roots, and
that the market will choose among them.  But it is also clear that it is
so cheap and easy to set up alternate roots that people can do it for
purely vanity reasons, so we can safely assume that in the alternate
root utopia there would indeed be thousands of them.  [In fact, in one
related proposal (the "grass roots servers" proposal) *everybody* was
supposed to run their own root zone...]

Of course, since none of the alternate root proponents go through the
rigor of getting their proposals vetted through the internet engineering
community, scaling isues are ignored.