Re: [ga] DNSO ICANN board member

  • To: ga@dnso.org
  • Subject: Re: [ga] DNSO ICANN board member
  • From: Jefsey Morfin <jefsey@wanadoo.fr>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 21:53:30 +0200
  • Sender: owner-ga@dnso.org

Roberto,

At 15:14 03/09/00, you wrote:
>Jefsey,
> >IMHO this is as saying that flying Alitalia will never make me sure
> >to land in NY and this is why I should stay with Delta.
>Unfortunately, this is exactly what will happen with alternate roots.

This is what may happen. Unfortunate is another question: IMHO
it will really depends on us at the present time (in coming two or
three weeks because of the TLDs affair by ICANN).

>If you have two alternate roots that refer to two different DN servers
>as authoritative for the same TLD, you think you will land on one site,
>while in reality you are on a different one.

Yes. We had that conflict with ".sys" at the ORSC. We concluded
in my buying the TLD which is rising interesting but probably very
important issues for the future. The point is not un buying the TLD
per se but to determine clearly a date at which the cedant is no more
involved. The risk is that the cedant in getting a payment endorse
responsibilties towards my comity where I maybe replaced by
Bill Gates some day with a lot of lawyers. So we want to be carefull.

>Take .web, for instance.
>There are half a dozen claims to manage it.
>Different alt.roots could elect different operators to manage it. And
>then we will have a mess.

The web hates the mess. This will quickly resolve to one winner and
to losers, or most probably to one master and clones. IMHO I do
prefer this kind of situation between a few ".web" alternative manager
than a TLD war where .web will be claimed seriously by MS and AOL
what will be the case, unless .web is endorsed by the ICANN. Then
there will be .web clones too.

>Don't expect different alt.roots to coordinate among themselves. Because
>the purpose, exactly as for PABXes, is to have a shortcut (Domain Name)
>to point to a complex number. But the shortcut cannot be "global" (in
>the sense of "universal" that is commonly attached to the word). Hence
>the confusion on the global level.

I think that what people want are :
-  a good mnemonic corresponding to what they are so users may access
    them intuitively.
-  some routing services. A shortcut can be qualified as such, but it is
    expansive to make a name known that what they really want is that
    their mnemonic is short an clear. As http://roberto.gaetano is easier
    and clearer to memorize than http://voila.fr/member/robertog as your
    address might be.
    True routing services at that levem are through semantics (formats,
    rules, final protection against UDRP - name/route cannot be changed,
    search and access engine attractive solutions, etc...).
    NB. I am using not widespread notions studied within .WIZ which
    show the way the market is probably heading to. But I feel you will
    understand them.

>The PTT interconnect the telephone services based on a partition of the
>E164 "address space" based on international telephone prefixes, managed
>by a coordinated authority (in the specific case, the ITU), that acts
>like a "telephone root".

This is true. But remember that the correspondance to X121 data,
telex and telephone addressing plan is the IP addressing plan and
I am much more interested in an ASO rebuild with a real IPv6 oriented
plan, including concerns for privacy protection as IP addresses may
turn out throught portable and online payment in a worldwide personnal
identification number. I am also very much concerned by the recent
ARIN decision which IMHO may have modified a lot of things in
confirming CNAMEs (hence in fact domain names of 2,3 etc level)
into the IP addressing plan. I would happy reading a competent
comment on this.
Jefsey