RE: My DNSO review comment (Re: [ga] DNSO Review Committee)

Harald et al,

You are pointing at a big problem, but I am not sure if the constituencies
themselves are the real problem.

I think we could change a lot if we focused on "DNSO", Domain Name Support
Organization", as one common group of people (like At-Large which also is a
large group of people with different interests).

This large group of people in DNSO have one thing in common: They are
interested in Domain Names and the development of the Domain Name structure
in the Internet. The "constituency tags" should be used just to indicate the
profile of each DNSO member. The constituencies should not fight each other,
but instead use its forces to pull in the same direction: A stable ICANN as
a privat bottom-up organization with equal and fair competition conditions
for everyone.

The gTLDs and the ccTLDs have much in common Example: A stable root server
structure operated under a common set of contract(s). The non-commercial
label can be put on people with both gTLD, ccTLD and IP profiles. The IP
people are working both for gTLDs and ccTLDs because we are all interested
in effective DRPs. I assume also the non-commercial people are interested in
effective DRPs. The "commercial and business" label can be put on any of us.
We are all dependant in ISPs.

Joke: And we have to live with the Registrars.... (I did not mean that...)

In the NC we have to make sure that all these interests and profiles are
duly represented, but in my opinion we should not have pure ccTLD- , gTLD,
Registrar- etc. -groups. We have all more that one lable, and we should work
together in the DNSO.

Perhaps we could structure the discussions in "topics" and the chairs should
make sure that vioces from all constituency-intersts were heard for each
topic. The conclusion on the "topic" could then be presented by the Name
Council as as a good advice to the ICANN Board, taking the views from all
the constituencies into account.

I can "hear" already people shaking their heads becase this is a naive
standpoint, but I have seen it before: Multiculture environments can really
work together, if they want to and if they have a common goal.

The problem with the current DNSO is that the people DO NOT HAVE A COMMON
GOAL. There are too many agendas.

Best regards,
Alf Hansen