Re: [ga] The everlasting PIN situation

Roberto and all remaining assembly members,

Roberto Gaetano wrote:

> Mikael, Christopher, and members of the Election Committee.
> (please fwd this notice also to Mr. Nguyen Huu Dong, whose E-Mail
> address is unknown to me)
>
> What worries me most in this PIN story is the size of the problem.
> Few hours ago we had only 36231 "activated" members, out of the total of
>  "unverified" 158593. That makes roughly between 20% and 25%.

  Indeed!  This problem was inevitable starting way back last February.
This shows clearly the lack of understanding from the ICANN Board
the interest level of the majority of stakeholders.  When you have between
70-75% of the applicants for AT Large membership that have either
not received their PIN numbers yet or have not activated them due to
some "Glitch" in the registration system for membership, you have a very
serious problem.  This is especially true when the ICANN Board is
going ahead with nominations anyway despite this known discrepancy.
This shows lack of good and responsible leadership without a doubt...

> [...]
> activated their membership, i.e. whether they did not receive their PINs
> , they have lost it, they are on vacation (common thing to do in August,
>  at least in Europe).
> Whatever the reason, the fact is that the ability for Members to
> participate in the "membership-nomination" phase is dramatically
> reduced.
> Under these circumstances, it seems obvious to me that some action has
> to be taken by the Board.
> For instance, to consider the 2% cap on the activated members at
> midnight 2000-08-14 instead of the 2% of the (theoretical) number of
> overall members.
> The best action, as suggested by others, would be to postpone the period
>  of endorsement to "member-nominated" candidates until the PIN-sending
> process is not finished + reasonable mail delay time. But can/will the
> Board take such action?
> It would be much better for ICANN and for the Members to have a more
> clean and complete election, but later in time, than to risk to be
> accused of introducing a bias in rushing things.
> Anyway, we have an "Elections Committee" whose task is to oversee the
> regular rollout of the elections. I would like to suggest them to come
> up with a statement on the subject.
>
> Best regards
> Roberto
>
> >(to: Christopher Ambler, cc: to Esther Dyson and the GA, please find Mr
>
> >Amblers original message attached below)
> >
> >Dear Mr Ambler,
> >I wish I could use that as a comforting fact, but it just adds to the
> >confusion regarding the PIN situation. I heard that the PINs would be
> sent
> >in batches - fair enough - but now the election is due and I still do
> not
> >know how to vote without my PIN. I sure can understand that ICANN
> suffer
> >from intial administrative problems, but it's harder to accept that a
> >legally binding election will take place when several voters have no
> means
> >of participation.
> >
> >The PIN situation should be solved or the election postponed. Any other
>
> >alternative is unjust and unfair. I might excercise my right not to
> vote
> >for any of the candidates, but for the time beeing I'm even denied to
>
> >make such a choice.
> >
> >Lucky ICANN to have Esther Dyson as chairman - who I know is just,
> >otherwise I might have suggested foul play. Now that is hardly an
> option,
> >but the PIN situation urgently needs to be addressed.
> >
> >Best Regards,
> >
> >Mikael
> >
> >On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, Christopher Ambler wrote:
> >
> >> Well, I live in Seattle, WA USA, and was one of the first to sign
> >> up, and I've not gotten my PIN yet either.
> >>
> >> I really want to give my member support to Karl Auerbach, but

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 9236 fwd's to home ph#