Re: [ga] The everlasting PIN situation

Liz and all remaining assembly members,

  Liz, I think you are right here or at least have a very good suggestion.

But as has been the ICANN Boards habit in the past of late it is not
likely it will be taken seriously.  Hopefully I am wrong on this though.

Liz Bartlett wrote:

> At 12:31 PM 8/14/00 -0700, Christopher Ambler wrote:
> >Well, I live in Seattle, WA USA, and was one of the first to sign
> >up, and I've not gotten my PIN yet either.
> >
> >I really want to give my member support to Karl Auerbach, but
> >I can't until I get my PIN.
> >

> I also notice that despite the FAQ which states:
>
> "If you have lost your password or PIN number, you should go to
> the members only area and click on the appropriate button. Because
> of the cost of mailing PIN numbers via surface mail, ICANN will
> send no more than one PIN reminder. Passwords and PIN numbers
> will not be given out by telephone."
>
> that the members only area does not have a "button" for reminder
> PIN numbers, just email password reminders. As PINs on paper are
> one of the _easiest_ things to lose, I predict that many members
> are going to be unable to vote because they've lost theirs,
> can't remember them, and have no way to re-request them.
>
> I think ICANN should take a leaf out of other high-security
> web sites and say that once membership has been activated with the
> sufrace mailed PIN, then the PIN is no longer required for further
> access under that membership number.
>
> (Forgive me if this has been previously covered, I'm relatively
> new to the list)
>
> --Liz

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 9236 fwd's to home ph#